News and Events

Phantom withdrawals from your bank account?

View profile for Tony Irving
  • Posted
  • Author

If you have noticed a mystery item on your bank statement, such as a phantom withdrawal, getting a response from your bank can sometimes be not only frustrating but can have serious consequences for your livelihood, business and personal relationship.

Tony Irving, dispute resolution solicitor at Hancock Quins Solicitors in Watford, Hertfordshire, explains what you can do if you find yourself in dispute with your bank. 

“The relationship between a financial institution and its customers is founded on contract.  When things go wrong it is generally because the financial institution has breached its contractual obligations to its customer.  The customer should not feel they do not have a legal remedy.  They do – for compensation for breach of contract, “says Tony. 

Hancock Quins Solicitors has expertise and experience in proceedings against banks for phantom withdrawals from accounts and other such commercial disputes.

Recently we acted for a gentleman who owned a small business who discovered to his horror that his account with a high street bank had been wrongly debited with sums in excess of £350,000.  The implications for his business if the matter could not be rectified were catastrophic.  He complained to the bank but just got messed about, so he instructed us.  When a letter of claim produced no more than stalling from the bank, proceedings for breach of contract were started against the bank in the high court.  Shortly thereafter, our client received all his money back together with interest and all his legal costs.  The whole matter was concluded two months after we were first instructed.

If you have a problem with your bank or need advice on any other dispute resolution matter, please contact Tony Irving on 01923 650853 or

The contents of this article are intended for general information purposes only and shall not be deemed to be, or constitute legal advice. We cannot accept responsibility for any loss as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article.